Monday, November 15, 2010

Do it Yourself Christmas Urn


Deck the Porch with Hand-Made Christmas Urns!

While browsing the isles of big box stores over the weekend, I saw plenty of holiday-themed urns filled with evergreen branches, sprayed sticks, pine cones and the like.  Many of these in-store selections were selling for $40, $50 and $60 each! It got me thinking about how easy they look to make and I figured that I would take a stab at making my own Christmas urn on a budget.   

Since I already had a lovely holder (as I'm sure many of you have as well), I didn't have to purchase the 'urn' part of the equation.  
I also took out some gardening shears and gloves in preparation for my 'urn-ing'.
Total Cost = $0 

I went ahead and purchased greenery and decorative trimmings including blue spruce and cedar tree branches, red and gold bare branches, decorative red, cream, and silver balls, and LED lights.  I also found some pine cones while taking my dog for a walk.  
Total Cost = about $30 
(like the free pine cones, I'm sure I could have saved even more money by pruning trees in the bush, but I figured that I was already saving money so I'd leave nature alone)

Now I'd like to say that I spent hours designing and perfectly placing each stick and stock, however it only took me about 10 minutes to stick all of the branches in the soil that was already in the pot from the summer. 

Finally, I added the lights(one string of 35 lights was plenty), pine cones, and decorative balls.  DONE!


Final Word:  If you have a decorative urn and about 20 minutes to kill, I would highly recommend creating your own Christmas Urn Creations this holiday season.  It's just enough 'diy' to handle without feeling like you need glue gun or garden boy, but it gives you the feeling of accomplishment from knowing that you made something festive and fabulous, while saving money at the same time.    



No comments:

Post a Comment